Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Graves Disease 101: What is it?

Since I was diagnosed 8 months ago with Graves' Disease, I have been soaking up as much information as I can. What I know for sure is that this disease effects everyone differently. The intensity, the organs affected, and the reactions to the autoimmune response vary from person to person. In this information series I am labeling Graves Disease 101, I will share what I know and how I relate to it. I am just one person with this Disease, so if you have Graves' or a loved one that does, please share your experiences with me.



Now for the first lesson: What is Graves' Disease?

First, lets be clear, while a newly diagnosed individual may feel otherwise, it is not called Graves' because it sends you to the grave. This disease was first described by a doctor named Robert James Graves in the 1800's. I wonder how he felt to have a disease named after him? While I'd like my name to be carried on, I would not want it to be in the form of a disease people hate to have!

Graves' is an autoimmune disease---and like all autoimmune diseases, due to some bad body chemistry, the immune system actually starts to attack the body. In Graves' in particular, the immune system attacks the thyroid, but it can attack the eyes, skin, and other glands. Maybe your thinking, "What's the big deal? It only attacks the thyroid. That doesn't seem too bad." Obviously, you don't know what the thyroid does.

The thyroid is described as a butterfly gland on the front of your neck in front of your esophagus.

It regulates much of your body’s functions. If you think of your body as a series of roads and highways, your thyroid is controlling the speed limit and stop lights. When the immune system starts making your thyroid Enemy #1, your thyroid responds by revving up production. Imagine all of the speed limit signs increased to 150 miles an hour and every traffic light turned green—chaos! (Side note: the thyroid could also respond by slowing everything down and that disease is called Hashimoto’s.) I made a little chart to explain:



A normal thyroid…
What could happen when you have Graves’…
Regulates your metabolism—appetite and weight loss/gain
You have an increased appetite and can lose weight without even trying. I lost 20 pounds in two months while eating excessively.
Controls your body’s sensitivity to cold and heat
You are sensitive to heat and sweat easily. Summer weather is unbearable.  
Regulates your heart beat. A normal, resting heart rate for a healthy adult is 60-100 beats per minute.
Your heartbeat is rapid, pounding, and sometimes irregular. Before being treated, my heart beat at rest was 120 bpm. I have heard of people having heart rates of 150 bpm or more. It’s scary to be short of breath and a heart pounding out of your chest just because you sat up on the couch.
Regulates your hormones
If you are a woman, you will have lighter and less frequent menstrual periods.
Helps all bodily systems maintain at a normal level
Bodily functions process much quicker. You will experience loose and frequent bowel movements and trembling hands and fingers.
Helps regulate mood
You will have anxiety and irritability in new areas of your everyday life.
Other symptoms:
Muscle weakness
Trouble sleeping

Keep in mind everyone responds slightly differently. If you have Graves’, you are probably experiencing all of these things to some degree. If you have a few of these symptoms and have not been diagnosed, I urge you to see your doctor immediately and get blood work done.  If you do have Graves’, you must be seeking treatment if your symptoms are not under control---and that’s a can of worms to open in a whole other post. 

So, what do you think—

Do you have Graves’? What’s the worst symptom you are dealing with? For me, even with treatment, any change in my life or schedule creates an insurmountable stress that I can’t deal with.

Do you know someone with Graves’? What is it like watching that person deal with this disease? What is it like for you to deal with it? I’d love to know what it is like from the other side.




No comments:

Post a Comment