Monday, July 7, 2014

My favorite gluten free replacement foods



When I became gluten free, I knew I needed to change the whole way I approached my meal planning and diet. I admit at first I just used gluten free bread to replace my whole wheat loaf. The gluten free brick was not fit for a sandwich let alone my consumption. At that moment, I knew I needed to cut out wheat AND any product that resembled wheat.

But what do you eat with marinara if it isn't on noodles? And what vehicle can hold the cheesy pizza goodness I want to eat on Friday nights if it isn't pizza crust? It is a good exercise in changing eating patterns and finding new recipes. But, eventually, those noodles and pizza crusts win and you just have to eat them. I can smell the bubbling cheesy, noodle-y goodness now!

In a world of if-it-doesn't-taste-like-cardboard-it's-good, replacement gluten free foods are hard to find. Here are some delicious products I reach for every time:

Against the Grain
This Vermont based bakery has amazing, crusty, yet fluffy breads. And their pizza...image the cheesiest pizza you've ever had...now double it! It is one cheesy (and therefore delicious heavy) pizza! And it is the size of a traditional frozen pizza (what is that, 12 or 14 inches?). I would eat it even if I weren't gluten free.


Udi's
This brand is more main stream than Against the Grain, so it is easy to find in most towns. They make a million different things and most of them are great. Their frozen pizza is individual-sized and of the thin crust variety. While the texture of the bread can't be compared directly to their wheat-filled counterparts, I enjoy eating them all the same.


Tinkyada Rice Pasta
Gluten free pasta is easier to find now than ever. I have tried several brands and most of them have been edible. The problem is the mush factor. If you don't time them just right, your noodles remain too firm to eat or liquify under the sauce. I have had success with Tinkyada every time I cook them. They have both conventional and organic varieties. My family sticks with spirals and penne because it is easier for my little girls to eat.




King Arthur Flour
Every.single.thing I have made from an King Aurthur Flour mix has been amazing. From bread to cookies to pancakes, I am in stomach love <3. If you are familiar with them, you know Vermont based King Arthur has specialized in baking, so I am so happy they are in the gluten free world as well. They also have great gluten free recipes, tips, and tricks. There is a lot to learn from this company.





Nature's Path EnviroKidz
What can I say, I'm a kid at heart. I love me some cereal... All of the products I've had from this brand has been yummy. And my kids love it. There is a limited section at my grocery, but these puffs are great as a cereal or snack.






So that's my list as of today. Do you have any favorites? Please share!


I was not paid to mention these products. 
These are purely my opinions based on my taste buds and wallet. 
I have not tested nor researched any consumer reports stating the validity of the the label "gluten free" on these products. 
If you are aware of any information I am not, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment