Monday, August 4, 2014

Chicken: Humane Choices and Gluten Free


I was a vegetarian for a long time, like 15 years. It was a place I was very comfortable in. Ask me to whip up a vegetarian Thanksgiving, no problem. But ask me to pick up some chicken at the store and my palms get sweaty and my heart pounds nervously. There are so many questions that run through my head...Was the chicken happy? Did it get to go outside? Was it able to move? Will eating this chicken make me sick? Will it kill me? Was it fed hormones and antibiotics? 

But then I found this chart from Greener Choices and now I see the light. Chicken comes with a label on it. On that picture below, see that multicolored circle on the right? That says American Humane Association Certified. If I want to buy raw chicken, it's either this or conventionally raised. It sounds good, "humane," but upon closer inspection, it doesn't settle my chicken-loving heart. The farmers can feed the chickens animal byproducts, they do not need to have access to the outdoors, and there is no limit on slaughter line speed. 



Don't get me wrong, it is better than conventionally raised chicken. And food is food when you come right down to it. But if I'm going to eat meat, I need to know that they were treated like I would treat them. I try to buy whole chickens from farmers I know at the farmer's market and natural food store, but it expensive. As it should be. So, I will keep making the hard choices between humane and money...until we raise our own.

Now that we have that out of the way, lets eat! When you find the chicken you want to eat, here are some great recipes to try. They are all Paleo and/or AIP, but all delicious. Really, try them!

My fav is the Mojo Chicken and Paleo Nuggets. The picture at the top is our try at the chicken nuggets. There were oh so very good!


Paleo Chicken Nuggets 

 Paleo BBQ Chicken with Chipotle Slaw and Poblano Guac

AIP Coconut Lime Ginger Chicken

AIP Herb and Coconut Crusted Chicken Breasts

Mojo Chicken Avocado Cups

Grilled Whole Chicken

And when you buy that whole chicken, don't throw those bones away! Make some broth. It's easy, free, and good for you.

Chicken Bone Broth

No comments:

Post a Comment